General’s Chicken. General Tso's chicken (pronounced [tswò]) is a sweet deep-fried chicken dish that is served in North American Chinese restaurants. The dish is named after Zuo Zongtang. Remove chicken from wine/soy marinade and place in flour mixture.
The spicier, zestier less popular cousin to the ever popular Orange Chicken, General Tso's Chicken. General Tso's chicken is a sweet, deep-fried chicken dish that is served in North American Chinese restaurants. This healthier lightened up version is wok sautéed instead of deep fried, and made. You can cook General’s Chicken using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of General’s Chicken
- You need 8 pieces of chicken wings.
- You need 1 piece of eggplant, sliced thinly into 2x3 inch chips lengthwise.
- It's 2 of eggs, beaten.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of flour, or enough flour for chicken.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of flour for eggplant.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/4 of chilli flakes (optional to include or add more if desired).
- It's 2 tablespoon of rice wine.
- It's 2 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- You need 2 tablespoon of white sugar (adjust according to taste).
- It's 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar (adjust according to taste).
- It's 2 teaspoon of flour.
- It's 1 teaspoon of lemon or calamansi juice.
- You need of Cooking oil for deep fry of chicken and eggplant (fry separately).
This recipe is my version of General Tso's chicken. The white wine is optional, but does give a great element to the dish. General Tso's Chicken--fried chicken pieces in a sweet & spicy sauce with crunchy broccoli. General Tso's Chicken was supposedly named after Zuo Zongtang, a military leader from Hunan.
General’s Chicken instructions
- Prepare eggplant chips. Cut the eggplant into 2x3 inch lengthwise chips. Layout on top of a kitchen cloth, cover on top with another cloth to dry. Leave for around 15 minutes. Once dry, dredge in flour and set aside for frying..
- Prepare chicken and batter. Mix the eggs with flour, beat until well incorporated. Dip the chicken pieces in the batter and coat throroughly when ready to deep fry..
- Prepare the sauce. Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl except for the garlic and chilli flakes. Sauce ingredients are vinegar, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, flour, lemon / calamansi juice. Taste and adjust sauce according to taste. Set aside..
- Fry eggplant and chicken. Heat oil in deep fryer or wok. Deep fry eggplant chips until golden / dark brown in colour. Set aside. Remove excess oil. Deep fry chicken until golden brown in colour. Set aside..
- Serving and plating the dish. 5-10 minutes before serving, saute minced garlic and chilli flakes in frying pan. Add chicken to reheat. Stir to coat chicken pieces with garlic and chilli flakes. Add prepared sauce into pan and let simmer until sayce thickens, mixing well to chicken. Add eggplant chips and stir to coat chips with sauce as well..
But General Tso's chicken has nothing to do with the general. General Tso's chicken is created by a famous cook Changgui Peng who is expert in Hunan Cuisine. An easy General Tso's chicken recipe that yields crispy chicken without deep-frying. It also uses much less sugar while maintaining a great bold taste. Once you've tried it, you'll skip takeout next time.