Cottage Pie. Classic, epic Cottage Pie made properly, with a luscious filling. Cottage Pie - comfort food central! This English classic has a deeply savoury beef mince filling smothered in gravy topped with creamy.
Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a type of savory pie. It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland. You can cook Cottage Pie using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- It's 8 of medium sized potatoes.
- Prepare 1/2 kg of ground beef or lamb.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, diced.
- Prepare 1 can of green peas.
- It's 1 can of mushrooms, sliced.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It's 1 small box of cheese, cut into cubes.
- It's 1 small stick of butter.
- Prepare 500 grams of spaghetti sauce.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce.
- You need to taste of salt, sugar and pepper.
- It's 1 small can of evaporated milk.
- You need of Green bell peppers (optional).
- You need of Spiced ham, diced and cooked.
The dish is now popular worldwide. Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. Potatoes were affordable ingredients that were..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw.
Cottage Pie step by step
- Boil potatoes in a pot until soft/cooked. Peel once cool enough to handle. Mash while adding milk and half of the butter. Set aside for later..
- Cook garlic until golden brown. Using the same pan, cook onions until translucent. Set aside..
- Cook ground beef for 15-20 minutes or until brown. Mix cooked garlic, onions and remaining butter. Add carrots and mushrooms. Add spaghetti sauce, green peas, and cubed cheese (leave some to grate and use for topping later). You may also add green bell peppers and cooked spiced ham if you want. Simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are cooked..
- In an oven-safe dish or bowl, put meat sauce and on top of it, layer prepared mashed potato mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese and pop in the oven for 10 minutes at 350°..
Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. This classic cottage pie recipe is easy to make and would make the perfect family meal packed with minced beef, sweet tomatoes and topped with creamy mash. Cottage pie is a combination of ground lamb or beef with mashed potatoes, topped with a bubbling layer of cheese is the perfect comfort food. Classic Cottage Pie Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Cottage pie, a traditional British dish, is comforting and utterly delicious!