All in One Shepherd’s / Cottage Pie. Step by step recipe instructions for shepherd's pie (cottage pie) complete with photographs and reader comments and discussion. Place the shepherd's pie into the oven onto a rack in the center of the oven. After thirty minutes, the potatoes should have formed the golden brown crust.
Shepherd's pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. The shepherd's pie is supposedly a product of that frugality: Instead of wastefully throwing food in the trash, the penny-pinching cooks threw all their leftovers into one dish and called it a day. Here's what we do know for sure: Cottage pie was actually a thing before its lamb-filled counterpart. You can cook All in One Shepherd’s / Cottage Pie using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of All in One Shepherd’s / Cottage Pie
- You need of Beef Mince.
- You need of large Onions.
- Prepare of Cooking Oil.
- Prepare of Potatoes.
- Prepare of Butter.
- You need of large Carrots.
- It's of peas (frozen).
- You need of Sweetcorn (frozen).
- You need of diced Sweet Peppers.
- You need of Stock Cubes.
- It's of hot water.
- Prepare of Sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese.
Oh, how I love Shepherd's pie. It depends on whether you use lamb or beef. And if Gordon Ramsay catches you using beef and calling it Shepherd's Pie, he might just go all.well, Gordon Ramsay on you. He's mentioned this several times on the boob tube, with more than a trace.
All in One Shepherd’s / Cottage Pie step by step
- Cut Potatoes into small cubes and put into a pan of boiling water. Bring to boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes..
- Peel and chop Carrots into small cubes / pieces and put into boiling water. Bring to boil and then turn down to a simmer..
- Peel and dice Onions, add to a large pot with the butter, cook, stirring until golden brown..
- Add Beef Mince to Onions and mix well. Cook until brown all over, then dissolve stock cubes in the hot water and add to the Beef mix..
- Drain and add carrots to Beef mix, then add peas, sweetcorn, mixed peppers and stir well..
- Put beef mix in an oven dish, filling it to about 2/3 full..
- Drain Potatoes, put in a large bowl, with the butter, and mash until smooth and creamy. Spoon onto top of beef mix, spreading it out and smoothing the top. Decorate using a fork, if you wish. Sprinkle over the Parmesan Cheese..
- Put dish in medium hot oven for about 30-45 minutes until golden brown..
- If you try this dish, please take a photo and share on Cook Pad to show others!!.
Actually a classic shepherd's pie is made from lamb; shepherd - lamb, and a Cottage Pie would have been made out of beef. But in the US, not many Americans know the difference, and tend to label them both as "Shepherd's Pie". Shepherds pie is a classic British recipe,. It's simple to make, really tasty, and if you use beef mince instead of lamb mince, it makes Cottage Pie. Shepherds Pie is one of the classic of British cuisine.